A personal journey in struggling with diabetes and its complications.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

In Appreciation: Tim Russert (1950-2008)

Well, this is not a diabetic post, or anything related to diabetes. But I have a great passion for politics and television. I've often told friends and colleagues that politics is the "ultimate contact sport." I came from a region where we value our relationships with our friends, honor our past, present and future, fight like the devil when a political arguement takes place, and enjoy our food, our liabations, and our democratic ideals. That, and of course our beloved sports teams (the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins). And if I haven't given away from where I am from originally here's a clue....Kennedy.

So Friday's passing of Tim Russert, the Washington Bureau Chief and moderator of "Meet the Press" for the NBC television network, brought me to tears. In all of the coverage from both sides of the aisle since his death at age 58 of coronary thrombosis, there has been no criticism, no ill word spoken of him. Nor should there be.

I have been an avid watcher of news television over the years. Current events fascinate me. They drive me in many ways. I am a voracious reader, particularly in the aftermath of a major event. I want to know the why, the who, the event in as much detail as possible. Having watched MTP with Tim for the last 17 years, I gained more insight in the world of the Beltway, the world, and human life than anything my own Catholic education back in Kingston, Massachusetts ever taught me. Every eulogist has brought out one constant - he was tough, but fair. His love and passion and enthusiasm for getting it right without the so-called "gotcha" question was remarkable.

But above all he was a family man. Loving son of his dad, Big Russ, brother to his older siblings, husband to his wife Maureen, and father to his only son, Luke. Being an only child myself and having lost my dad at an early age, I know that Luke must treasure those father/son memories.

So let us not weep today for Tim, but indeed celebrate his life. I know he's probably asking, why did this happen now. The biggest political season I dare say ever, and he won't be a part of it.

May the Angels guide you to your peaceful rest.

No comments: